SUCCESS CASE: CHI Engineering Services Leverages 3D Laser Scanning for Streamlined Analysis & Complete Field-to-Finish Workflow
With a dedication to providing unmatched engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) services, CHI Engineering Services applies 35+ years of experience aimed at ensuring each completed project provides their clients with simplified operations and maintenance.
However, CHI began noticing a negative trend in their projects that was making their own operation less-than-simple… and it was beginning to affect their commitment to their clients…
CHI struggled with:
- Receiving incomplete documentation of existing conditions
- Wasting both time and costs due to slower traditional measurement tools
- Ending up with mistakes in design and too many in-field adjustments due to poor as built documentation
These constant and inevitable workflow hiccups had to be eliminated. CHI needed a solution to streamline their processes and help them elevate their competitive edge in the market.
THE USE CASE:
To best assess what solutions they should consider, CHI needed to evaluate the particulars of their current operations and needs:
- Location: Portsmouth, NH
- Industry: LNG, Natural Gas & LPG Industries
- Specialization: Engineering, Procurement & Construction (EPC) Management
CHI specializes in EPC for liquified natural gas, natural gas and liquified petroleum gas facilities, with their commonly needed measurement applications including:
- Construction verification (flatness / plumbness, FF/FL, Scan vs. BIM analysis, deflection / deformation analysis, structural integrity, clash analysis)
- Site scanning for facility coordination (facility layout & planning)
- Plant scanning for fabrication & asset management (Industrial facilities, as-built piping, structural & equipment modeling)
- Survey / civil deliverables (topo extraction, DTMs, geo-referencing, volume calculations)
NECESSARY SOLUTION BENEFITS:
To alleviate these challenges CHI faced, they were looking for a 3D laser scanning solution that provided the following:
- Accuracy / data quality
- Ruggedness (durability in harsh conditions)
- Complete field-to-finish workflow (hardware PLUS software)
That is when they turned to 3D Laser Scanning technology to streamline the push of real world data into the digital world with precise accuracy – the FARO Focus Laser Scanner.
Upon adopting the FARO Focus Laser Scanner CHI Engineering Services has reduced total project costs by 10-20% on average and has decreased the time required to document existing site conditions by approximately 50%.
HOW YOU CAN ACHIEVE THESE RESULTS:
FARO’s solutions can help you improve the speed, quality and safety of your architecture, engineering and construction projects and help achieve complete field-to-finish workflows.
With complete hardware and software solutions – such as the FARO Focus Laser Scanner and FARO PointSense – that integrate into your existing processes and software – such as AutoCAD® and Revit® – we engineer our solutions for AEC professionals.
*This success case of CHI Engineering Services is based on an October 2017 survey of FARO Technologies, Inc. customers conducted by TechValidate, a 3rd-party research service.